(978) 448-1100

Town Hall Offices

Contact Us

173 Main St.
Groton, MA 01450

View Hours of Operation

Online services are available 24/7

Marriage Certificates


Planning on getting married?

If you are planning on getting married in Massachusetts, you can apply for Marriage Intentions at any City or Town Clerk’s Office.

You must be getting married within 60 days. There is a three day waiting period from the time of application until the marriage license can be issued.

Marriages can be solemnized by Massachusetts clergy or Justices of the Peace.

Out of state clergy must register with the Massachusetts Governor’s Office.

Many couples prefer to have a family member of friend solemnize their marriage. If that person is not a member of the clergy or a justice of the peace, he or she may apply for a One-Day Marriage Designation, also through the Governor’s Office (https://www.mass.gov/one-day-marriage-designation).

Intention to Marry

To apply for Marriage Intentions, both parties to the marriage must present themselves at the same time to a clerk’s office to complete brief paperwork.

Both parties must present identification. After the three day waiting period, a marriage license is issued which must be brought to the ceremony.

The Solemnizer will complete a portion of the document, which is then returned to the same clerk’s office (along with a One-Day Marriage Designation certificate if applicable).

Once certified by the clerk, a marriage certificate will be issued.

The cost for this process in Groton is listed in the fee schedule.

Looking to obtain a copy of your marriage certificate?

Marriage certificates are kept in the city or town where the marriage intention was filed. This is often not the same city or town where the marriage took place. Certified copies of marriage certificates may be obtained in person, by mail or by using the online ordering service. Requests for records can be made to the Town Clerk’s Office. Please have the marriage date available.