(978) 448-1100

Town Hall Offices

Contact Us

173 Main St.
Groton, MA 01450

View Hours of Operation

Online services are available 24/7

Birth Certificates

Vital Records

The Town Clerk’s Office maintains vital records as described below. Records can be obtained in-person, by mail or by using an online ordering service.  The Massachusetts State Registry of Vital Records and Statistics can also provide certificates for Groton or any other Massachusetts community.

Follow the link https://www.mass.gov/orgs/registry-of-vital-records-and-statistics to their website for more information.

How long does it take to get a vital record?: Mail and online orders are usually processed with 24 hours. Walk in service is available.

Birth Certificates

The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for original records of all births that have occurred within Groton and in the Commonwealth of people whose parents resided in Groton at the time of the birth. Certified copies of birth certificates may be obtained in person, by mail or by using the online ordering service. Requests for records can be made to the Town Clerk’s Office. Please have the birth date available.

To obtain certificates by mail: Send a check payable to “Town of Groton”. Your request should include the name and date of birth appearing on the certificate, a contact telephone or e-mail address, and a self-addressed, stamped envelope. If the record requires identification (see below,) the appropriate person must sign the request and include a photocopy of a driver’s license or government-issued photo ID.

Fee: Fees for certified copies are payable by cash or check or online payment.

View the fee schedule PDF document.

Records requiring identification: A record is not accessible to the general public if the parents were unmarried at the time the child was born (and have not since married and amended the birth record), or if the father’s name does not appear on the record. When this is true, only the mother, father (if listed,) or child may request a certificate. Identification will be required. Identification is not required for other records.