(978) 448-1100

Town Hall Offices

Contact Us

173 Main St.
Groton, MA 01450

View Hours of Operation

Online services are available 24/7

Groton Cemetery Civil War Interments

The Civil War was one of our nation’s earliest conflicts and, arguably, the struggle most responsible for shaping our nation’s identity to what it is today. There are over a half-million Civil War Era veterans interred at countless cemeteries across the nation. So, it is no surprise then that we have at least some that have found their final resting place right here in Groton!

https://fusiontables.google.com/DataSource?docid=1w2cSsggeIjM8v5tG6lq3nkCATLhrRxM31FBgovA&pli=1%23map:id=3#rows:id=1

Scouting and data collection courtesy of Chris Huber as part of an Eagle Scout project. It was a monumental amount of work and we are extremely pleased to be able to provide access to such a great resource!

Thank you for your efforts Chris and all those involved providing the springboard for this project, especially Debbie Beal Normandin for her reference map and Eleanor Gavazzi for her guidance and expertise!

About the Author and the Data

Hello! My name is Chris Huber. I am a member of Troop 1, West Groton, and I coordinated the compilation of this data as part of my Eagle Project. This table and its accompanying map detail the  information on the headstones of approximately 100 Civil War Veterans that are buried in the Groton Cemetery.

The data collection was conducted in the summer of 2013. The spreadsheet was made with Microsoft Excel, and the map with Google Map Maker. All in all, my helpers and I put in over 200 hours
of work into this Eagle Project!

Thanks to everyone who helped out with this project, Scouts and adults. Special thanks to Ms. Debbie Beal Normandin, trustee for the Groton Cemetery Association, for her assistance and especially her map, and Mr. John Dennis, who was my fantastic Project Coach.

Most importantly, thanks to Ms. Eleanor Gavazzi for all her invaluable guidance regarding my project. She answered all my little questions, and her knowledge, persistence, and research were all invaluable to me. I couldn’t have done it without her.

Look at the map with the link below. It has clickable points that expand with information on each headstone:

https://fusiontables.google.com/DataSource?docid=1w2cSsggeIjM8v5tG6lq3nkCATLhrRxM31FBgovA&pli=1%23map:id=3#rows:id=1