SPECIAL COVID-19 NOTE:
Safety concerns during the COVID-19 pandemic period is a valid reason to use Absentee Voting. Absentee Voting is encouraged to help enhance the safety of voters and poll workers.
Massachusetts allows voters to vote by absentee ballot if they:
- will be absent from your city or town on election day, and/or
- have a physical disability that prevents your voting at the polling place, and/or
- cannot vote at the polls due to religious beliefs.
Please check www.grotonma.gov or the appropriate elections tab on this web page for absentee ballot availability.
Absentee voting is available for all elections.
The process for absentee voting is:
1. Apply for an absentee ballot. Absentee ballot applications are available at the Town Clerk’s office and are also downloadable at the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s website here.
2. Complete the form and forward it to the Town Clerk’s office email@example.com or Town Clerk, 173 Main Street, Groton, MA 01450.
3. An Absentee Ballot will be mailed to you at the address you indicate.
4. Return the absentee ballot by election day. Please note that the return postage for an absentee ballot is $.70 as of January, 2022.
*Alternatively, you may complete the application and vote in person at the Clerk’s Office before election day.
The last day and hour to request an absentee ballot is noon on the day before the election.
The Secretary of the Commonwealth’s website is an excellent resource for voting information:
The deadline to request an absentee ballot by mail for the May 24, 2022 Annual Town Election is Wednesday, May 18 at 5:00 PM.
The last day request an absentee ballot in-person is Monday, May 23 at 12:00 Noon.
The voter registration deadline:
If you are not already a registered voter in Groton, the deadline is Friday April 8, 2022 at 8:00 PM for the May 24, 2022 Annual Town Election and the April 30, 2022 Town Meeting.
You can register or check your voter registration on-line at https://www.sec.state.ma.us/OVR/. You may also register by mail or in person at the Town Clerk’s Office, 173 Main Street.
If you have any specific questions, please contact the Groton Town Clerk’s office at 978-448-1100 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Permanent Absentee Voters:
If you qualify to submit for a permanent absentee ballot application, please remember that you must re-apply each year. Please contact the Town Clerk’s office for assistance.